X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding gums

Has anybody suffered from really bad bleeding gums? Iwould like to think i have really good oral health, but the last few months of being free of fags my gums are bleeding when brushing, and have a really bad taste in my mouth!

Bit embarrassing really! but hey ho! none of you know me i dont think hehe!

Any tips for oral health-should i see my dentist?(

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

1st and only fight for freedom 12 september 2008

Mine do it too.

When you smoke, your gums are much thicker and tougher... the skin has changed to try and defend against the fact you are poisoning yourself. This is corrected when you stop.

When I mentioned it to my dentist, he said that gums bleeding during brushing is not a problem, and can actually be good.
    If they bleed at any other times it is a sign of gum desease, but during brushing it is not a problem in any way. He advised me to be a little more gentle, but they still bleed a little.
    According to him, very common amongst quitters.

I don't have the funny taste - but a lot of people on here have mentioned it.
    I finally saw sense, after 22 years of 20+ per day, on 12th September 2008.
    May I recommend you have a peruse of the following websites?
    Tales from the quit WhyQuit Freedom From Smoking Quit Smoking Online

Comment

Hi Shabba,
      I've had this a little, but I have had the bad taste continually - only just on top of that by giving up coffee of all things.

My doc has suggested I may have Post Nasal Drip - suggest you google that and see if it rings any bells.

As for bleeding gums - can only repeat what Stuart has said - it's common and if in doubt see your dentist.

Cheers,
      Jim

Comment

Thanks stu, bibleblack ,

Good to know others have had the same! just looked at the post nasal drip thingy-that could be it bible! there are herbal remedies for this so might give it ago!
        new to the forum and have never stopped moaning-SORRY GUYS!!!-****** dumb blond really!!!

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

1st and only fight for freedom 12 september 2008

Comment

You don't need to be sorry, help is why we all come here. We give help and take it when we need it.

Your time to help us will come, you will move past your rough bit and before you know it you will be offering advice to others going through what you are now.

Comment

Pnd

Hey Shabba
            before you go spending on herbal remedies - I've read that there's no cure for this, other than giving it time .. and 1/3 of everyone suffers from it to some degree or another.

The best thread I've seen so far is this :

And the best advice is drinking lots and lots of water.

As I say I've given up coffee to get away from this nasty taste - and that's an addiction I've had for a lot longer than smoking!

If the moderators remove the above link, PM me and I'll send it to you.
            Cheers,
            Jim
            Last edited by Moderator 3; 02-01-2009, 03:10 PM. Reason: Link Removed

Comment

Sorry BibleBlack,

As you suspected that link, which is heavily sponsored by Google ads, falls outside of forum rules, so has been removed.

Comment

You are probably being too rough with your brushing,be careful !heavy brushing can damage the gums and make them recede,try a softer brush.
                If your Gums bleed without brushing its a sign of Gum disease.I swear by Co-enzyme Q10 it strengthens the gums
                Quit Date -23rd Sept 2008
                Quit Method -Cold Turkey
                amount per day-,6-8 Cigarettes
                starting Age-25
                years Smoked-23

Comment

I think a lot of people have had trouble with bleeding gums just after the quit I know I certainly did. Don't brush quite so hard, try a softer brush, floss every day and use inter dental brushes, You'll have lovely clean gums and pearly white teeth, clear of the nicotine stains!
                  Quit 29 September 2008 - cold turkey - this time for good!

Former member Team 428 - NRT gum -fell off wagon June 2008.

Comment

I to had problems with bleeding gums but when i spoke to the nic nurse about it she said it was normal as now you are not smoking your blood has extra oxygen it it or something

Tracey x
                    Tracey Quit date : 01/09/2008

Member of Team '78 (aka Ash Kickers) - Tracey1978 & Chris201278

Comment

i havnt had it til this morning when i noticed a bit of blood when i cleaned my teeth

if theres a bad taste i would get it checked out by the dentist just incase. never hurts to get a check up anyway x
                      Smoked since: Aged 12 (20 a day on a good day)
                      Quit since: 27th October 2008
                      Method: Was Champix and now fresh air and a new attitude!

Comment

iv had no problems with my gums... am i ok if my gums dont bleed.,or have i that to come..other wise im ok... so keep the faith... tony
                        stoped 12 nov o8 for good
                        a journey of a thousand miles
                        begines with one step
                        stoped 12 nov o8,smoked all my life
                        went c/t this time,,stoped for life

Comment

Originally posted by tonyx View Post
                          iv had no problems with my gums... am i ok if my gums dont bleed.,or have i that to come..other wise im ok... so keep the faith... tony
                          It's possible you've got it to come, and it's also possible you won't get it at all.

There are a huge variety of "normal" symptoms of your body healing... a lot of people get none but most people get some of them.

Keep on keeping the faith, Tony - it's working for you.

Comment

Yes to bleeding gums

I recently made an appointment with a dentist and she said this is very normal. It takes some time for the gums to realise that they are freeeeee! of crap and stuff and start to relax, a few hygeine appointments and things will start to corrext themselves....wooo hooo
                            Originally posted by shabba68 View Post
                            Has anybody suffered from really bad bleeding gums? Iwould like to think i have really good oral health, but the last few months of being free of fags my gums are bleeding when brushing, and have a really bad taste in my mouth!

Comment

Originally posted by shabba68 View Post

I had the same problem so I asked my dentist about it she said its common for this to happen when a person has quit smoking.If there are no other obvious problems then it should cure itself in time and its nothing to be worried about.

Comment

Working...
                              X