Go Back   No Smoking Day Stop Smoking Forum > Quitting Experiences > Day 3

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM
always in character

Tyler, I do feel for you. And I've done what you're doing now. Maybe it will work for you, but it certainly didn't work for me. The cigarettes I was denying myself were something of an obsession, I was constantly thinking of when I could allow myself the next one, and the next one... and I kept finding excuses to smoke, and it crept up and up.

Don't be hurt by the responses on here. We all want everyone on the site to succeed! And many of us have gone down the 'occasional fag' route and found it to be less than helpful. So the comments don't agree with your decision, but they are trying to be supportive.

As DGee says, it takes an internal change, a restructuring of the mind, to be able to properly quit. It's an elusive thing. I hope you find it soon, and make the decision not to feed the beast. Ever.

Until then, you must do what is right for you.

Helen

"When it comes to silencing the inner voice, the secret is repeated conscious choice."
- Woofmang Tales from the Quit. To read the whole article, click here. What the man says is TRUE:
http://talesfromthequit.com/silencing-the-inner-voice
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM
no more smelly nanny :)

Thumbs up

Hi Tyler

i know afew people that has done what your doing some have succeeded like your dad by cutting them down gradualy others have been drawn back into smoking

its your quit so if you feel thats the way you will do this then carry on each to there own at the end of the day

but you have to decide at some point enough is enough and stop smoking all together

then you wilbe truely free from being controlled by a white addictive harmful stick

onwards and upwards is the way to go

regards

Carol

Gone but never forgotton RIP David xx
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Apparently Tyler's method is also known as the 'taper method'. I found this information from a site that provides basic info on '10 Ways to Quit Smoking' - linked in that title.

Here's the salient paragraph:

"Some smokers have quit successfully by cutting down gradually (also known as the taper method).

For example, you might start by cutting down to five cigarettes a day or less or delaying the first cigarette by an hour each day. Eventually however, a point must be reached where smoking is stopped altogether (as in the cold turkey method above).

If this approach is to work for you it is suggested that your final quit date is no more than two weeks after you start cutting down. Nicotine replacement therapy (mentioned above) may also be an option to consider as part of any such plan."

Whilst we all quit uniquely to ourselves there is a broad conscensus in ways that suggest being more successful than others. Perhaps the important factor in this method is the suggestion highlighted in bold above.

Whatever, good luck with your method Tyler

Cav
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Tyler,

Bottom line is you will fail - You have already failed 10 times so unlikely this method is going to work.

However good luck with it.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/heal.../tenthings.htm

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_04_02_l...addiction.html

Proud member of Successful September Stoppers GROUP:

Calamityjen13 (3rd), CathyC (8th), Barney_dk (9th), Samartel (9th), Francob (9th), Bafan99 (9th), Grumpie (11th), Gary_Baker (18th), Pip (19th), Claire44 (20th), Jana (26th), viv0147 (28th)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post

"Some smokers have quit successfully by cutting down gradually (also known as the taper method).

For example, you might start by cutting down to five cigarettes a day or less or delaying the first cigarette by an hour each day. Eventually however, a point must be reached where smoking is stopped altogether (as in the cold turkey method above).

If this approach is to work for you it is suggested that your final quit date is no more than two weeks after you start cutting down. Nicotine replacement therapy (mentioned above) may also be an option to consider as part of any such plan."
This isn't a quit method, it is 2 weeks of torture followed by quitting, why not cut out the torture and just quit?

Quit Date: 9th November 2010
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnj6922 View Post
This isn't a quit method, it is 2 weeks of torture followed by quitting, why not cut out the torture and just quit?
I know, you know, many others also know...but Tyler seems steadfast in his approach.

My thoughts were that if the 'Taper Method' is his chosen path then he gets some positive support and advice...as he has requested. Extrapolating that further, if he fails then he would be more likely to revisit here and gather some sterling advice to launch him towards a more 'traditional' method and hopefully the successful goal. If he just receives advice that puts his back up, as he's indicated is indeed the case, then he's gonna take a lot longer to turn this around.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:53 PM
back to life.

Hi Tyler .sorry. i got hold of the wrong end of the stick. i guess u mean you will quit smoking after your stag do and in the meantime reduce them. all the best with your quit when u finally do it.
Mash

Free your mind and your ass will follow!
or even the other way round!

Practise makes permanent.
Quit on 01/11/2013
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM

Why would you 'stop' smoking before the stag do if you plan to smoke on that night All you're doing is making the fags seem more special.

Allen Carr's book (easyway to stop smoking),someone else mentioned it but I'll second it coz it's BRILLIANT.

Also mentioned before, you really need to shift how you think about fags otherwise you're always gonna be feeling like you've been deprived of something precious. This has been the biggest difference for me this time.

all the best
Last cig 13th March 2012 at 10:30 pm. Champix, Allen Carr, Paul Mckenna and God. I think I mean it this time!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Default Aids to Quitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Apparently Tyler's method is also known as the 'taper method'. I found this information from a site that provides basic info on '10 Ways to Quit Smoking' - linked in that title.

Whilst we all quit uniquely to ourselves there is a broad conscensus in ways that suggest being more successful than others. Perhaps the important factor in this method is the suggestion highlighted in bold above.

Whatever, good luck with your method Tyler

Cav
Good Evening Tyler I thoroughly endorse Calvalier's words of wisdom. I became smoke free some 83/84 days ago with the aid of N.R.T. and Smoking Cessation classes. On these courses they set markers for a quit date with the advice that you try and remain nicotine free in the lead up to that date but that's not obligatory. However abstainance is required after the Quit date.
I think I noticed you live in the Edinburgh area, here in Glasgow the courses are run by the local health board in conjunction with The British Heart Foundation Smoke Free Communities Services so I would surmise that the local health board in Edinburgh do the same. Perhaps you would like to investigate further they definitley helped me.
Regards and best Wishes
Michael (Glasgow) a.k.a:-lefoy123
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdot View Post
Why would you 'stop' smoking before the stag do if you plan to smoke on that night All you're doing is making the fags seem more special.
I totally agree with this statement. Sounds like you're putting the fags on pedestal and feeling cheated that you'll have to give them up... preferably forever!

I advocate continuing to smoke until you feel ready to stop. In fact, I go as far as to say that if you have set your quit date to the 15th, and on the morning of the 15th you're not ready, well just smoke and set another quit date (not too far in the future ). Repeat the process as many times as you need to until you do feel good about quitting.

Similarly, if you fail your quit first time around, don't beat yourself, but instead smoke again until you feel ready to start all over (unless you have the strength to start over the very next day).

I think the worst damage you can do to yourself is to start putting "fuzzy" boundaries around the quit process. Either you smoke or you don't.

That's not to say I don't believe in tapering (I simply don't know), but whatever you do, don't fool yourself into the trap of just smoking a bit is not really smoking. When you get down to day zero, the whole quit smoking process will kick off just the same way as if you had smoked 20 the day before.

Good luck.

Alex.
Motto : Stop smoking before smoking stops you!