Go Back   No Smoking Day Stop Smoking Forum > Quitting Experiences > Month 2

Old 17-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Red face When do you stop thinking about the fag?

I still have thoughts about the dreaded fag does this ever go away somehow i dont think so. I know that i totally hate the smell so why do i think about it. How do you cope with it ? Does anyone have any ideas. I have got to 6weeks 6days which i am pleased about because on my previous quit last year round about this time i gave into a fag and i dont want that to happen now. And i still get snappy but only with Hub he has had the full works of my tantrums i can be a right bitch when things dont go right. Im also worried that when i stop taking these lozenger's i will be tempted. Anybody give me some advice and tips please.
Old 17-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Karri

I can't give you any advice or tips Fleetwood as have never got to where you are now. Reading posts on here though I would say you are dealing with the psychological phase.

I am sure people who have been quit for some time will be able to educate you more on this when they see your post.

Congratulations on doing so well and sticking with it
Old 17-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Happy and proud.

Hi Fleetwood I'm just over 2 months, I still think about them on a daily basis but not craving. It is getting better every day, like you I can't stand the smell now, so lets hope the day will come when we don't think of them at all. Hang in there think of all the bad things, I do and don't ever want to go back there.

Take care Bet.

member of the fabulous febbers
Royaldecameron, Divingdale, C266, Fazer1. Fleetwood.
Old 17-04-2011, 09:24 PM

I am 9 weeks quit now but still find I think about them everyday. I still love the smell so doubt if I will ever turn into a reformed non smoker
QM: Patches
Last one: 13/2/2011 @12am
1st quit date: 7/2/2001, relapse 11/2/2011
Fabulous Febbers; royaldecameron, divingdale, Fazer1, Betty Boop
Old 17-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Happy happy Jack

Hi Fleetwood, betty boop and Chrissie. I'm going to try and explain this to you in this way. When two people have a relationship and for one reason or another they break up and you don't see one and other again. No matter what you will miss them and probably think of them every day. In the beginning many times a day but as time goes on you will not miss them so much and think of them less and less.
Well it the same with fags you have had a relationship with them for years and suddenly you don't have them any more. So of course you are going to miss and think of them a lot especially in the beginning but believe me there will be a time when you will hardly think of them at all. The only reason I think of cigarettes now is when I come on here but I would never think of smoking one.
It takes time guys and for everyone it depends on how strong your relationship was with cigs as to how long it will take. As you can see it's over 16 months for me now but I stopped thinking about them in a smoking way a long time ago.

Bear with it because it will happen one day, although you may not realise this it's probably psychological that you want to smoke, you miss your relationship.

I don't know if this will help.

Jack
Smoked last gigarette 10pm Dec 2nd 2009.
Started on champix 1 week then went cold turkey.
Born free.............now, addicted for life
Old 19-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Default Thanks for reply's

When you put it like that Jack I can see more clearly now about the cigarette thinking mode, so many thanks for that. I have had a good day today and this is my 8th week I am on so will be celebrating as month real soon. Many thank you's for all your reply's. And hope you are all doing well in your quit. Happy days.
Old 20-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Fighting Nicotine

As far as i am aware due to the brain receptors that start from the day you start smoking never go away. I have known some smokers who havent had a smoke for 20 years, but still get a craving now and again. Its just about ignoring them and am guessing with time that can only get easier.
I have finally been able to sign up to run the London 2013 Marathon for the Royal Air Force Association. If you can spare a few minutes and sponsor me at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GreigStensland it would be much appreciated.

New Quit date - 13 Aug 12 @ 2359hrs
Old 20-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Nice text Jack! I'm sure it will be of help to many people.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 PM
A confident non smoker

Twenty years?

Oh God give me strength...

xxx Have finally made my children proud and am NOT going to let them down xxx
First full day smoke free- 4th April 2011
Quit using patches for the first 6 weeks then all on my todd from 16th May 2011
Puffed my way through 20 fags a day for 17 years
Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
non smoker

Send a message via MSN to NicFirth Send a message via Yahoo to NicFirth

The thought of cigs changes throughout a quit, it starts as a craving then becomes a want and evolves into a passing fancy.

Jack is quite right, you don't suddenly forget that smoking was part of your everyday life but you do become accustomed to living without cigs and thoughts about smoking reduce in frequency.

The good news is you do not feel as you did in the 1st few weeks/months and resisting the feelings gets progressively easier.

http://whyquit.com/
http://www.woofmang.com/tales/index.shtml
http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/
http://www.ffsonline.org/

Sponsor me for the BHF London to Bath Bike Ride 5th Oct 14